Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Total Redesign



For our last unit we learned about urban planning and how people can choose specific designs for center areas whether good or bad. We learned about redlining and more of the political view of urban planning. For this Action Project we had to make a resign of a building or area that needs some fixing up. I choose an area less then 10 min from my house. I pass by it ever day and never really think about it. It turns out it use to be a school and now its a training area for the CPD. I feel like my new idea would make more sense for a developing area such as this.

 This is my model of an old area in my neighborhood. Right now it is used for a CPD training ground and used to be a school. I feel as though this has a lot of potential for retail and food places. I designed specific areas for specific purposes here. For example I have two bus stops going east and west. There is a train station under it for easy access. There are huge glass panels providing a lot of the interior light. There is also green roof, which can absorb carbon dioxide, and you can potentially grow some fruits and vegetables there. There is also a parking that costs more than other places so people think about walking or taking the bus or train there more. The reasons I want to change things is because I walk by this place when I walk home from school and I see is falling apart and everything slowly breaking. It's a shame that it just sits there and people want to develop massive projects like Lincoln Yards and not and not places like this. Some places that inspired me is the Irvine spectrum center in Irvine CA. This is because they made everything lit up by the sunlight there was no ceilings in the mall. Another thing that inspired me was New City I wanted to make a more green open with more shops version of that. For the SDG 11.2 is about safe transportation so I have a train system under that mall and and 2 bus stops. 11.6 is about reducing carbon footprint so i have 2 giant roof gardens. 11.7 is about safe green places there is the roof tours and also around the mall there will be benches and tables. A quote from Mr. Breen who lives less than block away form this and has seen this building all his life; "That has been there all my life, I would like something new there that can devolve the neighborhood more". A few of principals for future cities relates is to is walking. This is a great spot to walk to because it is located within a 5 min walk from North Ave.  This area is very "bikable" as well with the bike lanes implemented on the streets and the many bike racks available for anyone to lock there bike.  This is also going be very connected to the road. We are going to open that side road because there is already a light there so it is convenient. This will decrees the traffic on larbee and change it to Larabee .


Area
 450 x 980 = 441,000 ft2

volume of parking lot
100 x 150 x 70 =1,050,000 ft2

volume of mall
417 x 375 x 50= 7,820,000 ft2

volume of glass pane
 3.14 x 37.5 ^2 x 200 =884000/2= 442,000 ft2


Original

The Resign


Google Maps, Google, www.google.com/maps.



UN. “Goal 11 .:. Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform.” United Nations, United Nations, sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg11.

All images created by OL, 2019 



AA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Frontiers of Ocean Research

I am in a class called Frontiers. This class we learned a lot about oceanography. For our final Action Project we were given the task to wri...